2016 Young Artist Concerto Competition Application Deadline is December 15
Bainbridge Symphony Orchestra 2016 Young Artist Concerto Competition
Application Deadline is December 15
Competition is Sunday, January 10 at Bainbridge Performing Arts (BPA)
Bainbridge Symphony Orchestra is pleased to announce that the 2016 Young Artist Concerto Competition will be held January 10, 2016 at Bainbridge Performing Arts. The competition is open to all instruments (instrumental and vocal) for young musicians ages 12-21. The winner of the 2016 Young Artist Concerto Competition will have the opportunity to perform with Maestro Schulz and the Bainbridge Symphony Orchestra on June 3 & 5, 2016! The competition application deadline is December 15, 2015, and interested parties are invited to download the application from www.bainbridgeperformingarts.org/products/bso-competition-2016.
- All instruments, including strings, woodwinds, brass, percussion, piano, harp and voice, are welcome to audition.
- Applicants should be between the ages of 12 and 21 years old as of the competition date.
- Applicants need not be residents of Bainbridge Island.
- Acceptable works for competition include single movements of concertos or single movement solo works. Exceptions can be made, but must be approved by Maestro Schulz in advance. Voice applicants are welcome to audition with arias or solo works that fit the time requirements.
- Works should be between 5-20 minutes in length.
- All applicants must have their works pre-approved for competition by Maestro Schulz. This step is required to ensure feasibility by the BSO in regards to personnel, music procurement and preparation. Rental works are eligible this season (pending the approval of Maestro Schulz), provided that applicants are willing to pay for the costs of music rental.
- Music must be memorized.
- Accompaniment is required.
- There is an audition time limit of 10 minutes. Cuts are permissible and will have no negative impact on the judge’s evaluation. Mark any cuts clearly in the scores (i.e. orchestra tutti’s).
- Applicants must present two copies of the score for use by the judges (photocopies are permissible). These will be returned. Please number your measures and mark cuts.
One winner will be chosen to perform with the Bainbridge Symphony on June 3 & 5, 2016. This person will receive publicity from Bainbridge Performing Arts, the opportunity to work with Maestro Schulz, and the privilege of performing with the BSO. The judges may designate a runner-up and/or honorable mention at their discretion. In the event a suitable winner cannot be determined, the judges reserve the right to declare no winner. All competitors will receive written comments from the judges.
Interested parties are encouraged to contact Maestro Schulz at email@example.com with QUESTIONS and for REPERTORY APPROVAL.
Bainbridge Performing Arts extends special thanks to its Bainbridge Symphony Orchestra sponsors Fletcher Bay Foundation and San Carlos Restaurant. Each youth receives free concert admission when accompanied by a paying adult thanks to the BSO’s “Youth in Music Initiative” funded by Wicklund Dental. BPA is supported, in part, by Bainbridge Community Foundation and One Call for All.
Find out more about BPA at www.bainbridgeperformingarts.org, or check us out on Facebook (www.facebook.com/BPAonline and www.facebook.com/BainbridgeSymphonyOrchestra), follow Bainbridge Performing Arts on LinkedIn (www.linkedin.com/company/bainbridge-performing-arts) and Twitter (@BPAPresents). Check online for the latest on theatre and symphony auditions, complete theatre school and adult class offerings, performance listings, tickets, promos, and more. Go to “About BPA” and click on “Get Our Newsletter” to receive electronic performance announcements and behind-the-scenes news.
# # #